Tuesday, April 7, 2015

My Last Sprint Triathlon (sort of)


You might think I am really getting faster from year to year.  You would be wrong.  On the day of the race I learned that they shortened the bike route due to potholes on one of the major downhills of the course.  Makes sense -- don't want anyone crashing their bike due to a pothole.  Right before my start I overheard someone say that they changed the running route.  Okay, probably just a tweak to the route that's been used since the event was established.

Now as I completed the swim, and finished the bike ride, I started the run which is the most god-awful physical experience one can bear.  Getting off the bike my legs are crampy and I start running with tiny strides because it feels like elastic bands are attached between my legs.  I don't feel like running 5 meters let alone 5 kilometers.  Soon I discover that they completely re-routed the course.  I have no idea how far I've run or how far I still have to go.  I ask a volunteer at a water station and just get a "I don't know."

Okay, I finished but I vowed this was my last sprint triathlon.  Why? Besides hating the run at the end, I hate the training prior to the event.  A heavy training day (even a light training day) leaves me exhausted for the rest of the day.  I also have a light headache which I learned is called an "exercise headache." Only a sick man would do this to himself.

Final note: This posting was written in 2015 almost a full year after the event.  I was going to give up this event when the Y announced a couple of variations:
- sprint triathlon (500 m. swim, 10 km. bike, 5 km. run)
- duathlon (5 km. run, 500 m. swim, 5 km. run)
- aquabike (500 m. swim, 20 km. bike)

Now that aquabike event looks interesting...

No comments: